Bariatric surgery is an array of procedures that are executed on people struggling with obesity. The stomach tends to get reduced using a gastric band; alternatively, a part of the stomach is removed. Bariatric surgery diet is therefore vital for a patient that just had their surgery. Know what you can and cannot eat, after a cosmetic or plastic surgery like breast augmentation, as part of your diet after your surgery is very important in ensuring your speedy recovery and the success of your operation.
1. Always ensure that your diet is low in sweets, fat, and calories.
2. Chew small bites of food well and don’t eat in a rush.
3. Daily caloric intake is not supposed to be more than 1000 calories.
4. Avoid any sugary stuff as much as possible.
5. Avoid straws as they are likely to get air into the pouch. hence. causing discomfort.
6. If possible, keep records of what you eat daily that’s the portions, protein and calorie intake.
To thwart away nutrient deficiencies, it is essential that you take your supplements on a daily basis. All pills are supposed to be cut into eight small pieces then crushed. This is because, after surgery, the body still can’t absorb the pills as a whole. Before the surgery, taking whole pills makes it difficult to be passed through the body system.
• It is recommended to take in at least two liters of water in a day. Start small and gradually make sure that you meet this daily target
• Always drink extra calorie-free fluids or water in between meals; this is to avoid dehydration.
• Nip a cup of any fluid (caffeine free) between all small meals at least eight times in a day.
Protein is known to help in muscle building and preservation. It is therefore essential that a bariatric surgery diet have proteins. In a day, you should be able to take in a minimum of 70 -75 grams in a day. Foods rich in protein include soymilk, yogurt, eggs, tofu, and many other dairy and meat products. However, you should not beat yourself up if you are not able to meet this target for the first few months after surgery. Keep consistency, and after a few months, this goal can be achieved.
A bariatric surgery diet should involve high potency chewable multivitamins that contain folic acid, iron, zinc, selenium, and copper. Take two tablets per day for the first three months after surgery than one pill a day for the entire year.
A bariatric surgery diet is very important for a patient that just had their surgery performed. The key is to be greatly disciplined and consistent. Finally, should you have any worries, doubts or queries it is essential that you should visit your health facility.Tags: bariatric surgery diet, guidelines for bariatric surgery diet